FILMS NOT DEAD
In this article I will be writing about the Leica M-A (Typ 127). Leica their newest fully mechanical rangefinder camera. The camera features no electronic parts whatsoever, no light meter or electronically controlled shutter like for example the M7 has. It is a fully mechanical rangefinder camera and it is the cheapest ‘M’ series camera Leica sells new today. The camera feels like any other M film camera Leica has ever made with the M5 as an exception. It features a cloth shutter with speeds of 1 til 1/1000th of a second and a ‘bulb’ mode that keeps the shutter open as long as you keep the shutter release button pressed just like most film M cameras have done. It has a 0.72x magnification viewfinder again like most film M cameras.
Focusing on the founding principles of photography, the Leica M-A (Typ 127) is a 35mm film rangefinder camera characterized by its simplicity and unobtrusiveness. As a completely mechanical camera, no battery is required for operation and the only exposure control offered is a choice of shutter speed, up to 1/1000 sec. A large, bright 0.72x-magnification viewfinder pairs with a precise rangefinder mechanism to enable comparative manual focusing control with M-mount lenses, along with parallax-corrected compositional framing. The body features black-colored chromed brass top and bottom covers, as well as an all-metal body design, to offer both durability as well as an aesthetic, minimal appearance. Designed for intuitiveness and efficient operability, the precision afforded by the M-A serves to complement a straight-forward working method.
- Classic 35mm film rangefinder features a large, bright 0.72x-magnification viewfinder.
- Completely mechanical operation requires no battery and permits working with just the basic aspects of photography: shutter speed, aperture, and film speed.
- A rear ISO dial can be used to indicate the speed of film in use.
- The top shutter speed dial permits selection of speeds from 1/1000 sec. to 1 sec., with a bulb setting also available for long exposures. Flash sync is available at all speeds up to 1/50 sec.
- The hot shoe incorporates a center contact for compatibility with a wide array of flashes.
- Compatible with all M-mount lenses ranging in focal lengths from 16mm to 135mm.
Image field frame lines are automatically activated with each mounted lens, and offer an accurate, parallax-corrected reference for image composition. Alternatively, image field lines can be selected to pre-visualize the composition of other focal length lenses.
READ & SEE MORE